Here’s a quick current events activity. Search through the newspaper for the most important stories and photos you see in today’s news. Using only five minutes, scan and skim to pick out the best. Fill in the blanks on a separate piece of paper with the story’s headline and page number.
1. A story about your community
2. A story of national importance
3. A story of international importance
4. A photo of somewhere out of state
5. A photo of something in North Dakota 6. A story about someone local
7. A picture of someone from out-of-town
8. A story of local importance
9. A story of importance to your school
10. A story of importance to your parents
11. A story of importance to your friends
12. A sports story about a local team
13. A sports story about a national team
14. The story you think will matter most in 10 years
15. The story you think your children will still talk about
When five minutes is up, stage a classroom debate to come to a consensus about the best answers to questions 14 and 15.
This NiE activity courtesy of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, Benton County Daily Record, & Northwest Arkansas Times.