I had the opportunity on Tuesday, March 8 to attend the Renaissance Personal Best Awards Breakfast at Central High School in Grand Forks. Students are chosen by staff for this award based on the following criteria:
- Demonstrating good school spirit
- Doing their best in class and displaying a positive attitude
- Consistentently submitting their homework on time
- Lending a helping hand to classmates or self
- Displaying enthusiasm for school and school work
- Participating in additional activities that go beyond the regular classroom requirements
We enjoyed a breakfast of rolls and fruit provided by Super One Foods and milk and juice courtesy of Land of Lakes. Central Principal Buck Kasowski gave the welcome and introduced Kyle Ellingson, Activities Director/Renaissance Coordinator. Mr. Ellingson gave a brief explanation of the program and introduced guest speaker Greg Lotysz, former NFL and UND football player. After Mr. Lotysz’s speech, assistant principals Kris Arason and Jon Strandell presented each student with a certificate. Entertainment was provided by Central Music Ensembles with Christine Aleshire, Conductor.
Parents of the award recipients were also invited to the breakfast. I was very happy to attend, since my son Carl was one of the award recipients. I am very proud of him.
This event is part of the district wide Grand Forks Public Schools Character Education program.