The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the Veterans Day National Committee are pleased to offer a Teacher Resource Guide for schools. Veterans Day, observed each year on November 11th, offers a chance to thank America’s Veterans and their families for their service and sacrifice.
There are nearly 24 million Veterans living among us, in every state and from every walk of life. Many students today are the sons, daughters, cousins, neighbors, or relatives of a Veteran or current service member.
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Teacher Resource Guide provides information, activities, and reproducible handouts to assist schools in teaching their students about the history of Veterans Day.
This guide also provides an array of suggestions for schools to organize events to honor and thank the Veterans in their communities.
The VA Teacher Resource Guide includes:
- Background information on the history of Veterans Day
- Classroom and community activities for students in grades K-12
- Suggestions for planning Veterans Day events in your community
- A timeline of U.S. military engagements
- A Kid’s Packet with activities for younger students
- Instruction on civic skills like how to fold the American flag
- Links to Veterans Service Organizations, including scholarship information
For more educational resources visit http://www1.va.gov/opa/vetsday/
Teachers and parents can also learn about national and local Veterans Day events in their communities.
Join us this Veterans Day in remembering veterans from all eras, and rewarding them with the honor they so richly deserve.